Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Back to 14,000 feet


The time came for another trip to high peaks. This time would be a little different than last time since I learned some lessons. Id pack slightly different, reserve my rental ahead of time and planned on spending more time on my feet less time on the road. The game plan stayed pretty much the same, one week somewhere new and a backpack. Colorado offered a whole another mountain range that would be new. Much drier than the Cascades but same sized peaks and I believe more of them. October was perfect as it was cool enough and the Aspens offered wonderful color variations. 


Denver was scary. I scurried to get my rental car and shot out of town as quick as possible. I drove north, to my right was completely flat and to my left was the jagged horizon. Once I cleared Denver I felt it was time to hit the mountains. Didnt even look at the maps, picked a route that went west and kept   going. On the front range its really easy to orient yourself. Terrain was much drier than Washington and put me into a valley following a small river. Different yet similar to what Ive already experienced.  





The aspens didnt disappoint. Some areas were just starting to change others were full blown. Oddly enough I found myself parked at a glistening mountain river at the beginning of my trip. Deja vu much. 


It didnt take long to end up back in the mountains.  Offroaders paradise for sure. It was plenty warm too. The Colorado sun offers a great advantage of clear skies thinner air and physically being closer to the sun. 


Erosion wonders everywhere. Different rocks eroded at different rates leaving giant skyscrapers sticking out of an otherwise flat area. I had a late start to the day so night fell quickly and I ended up somewhere for the night. 


These trips did not have sleep as a priority. Up early to get to my destination for the day. The goal today was hanging lake, an unusual feature in the area since water features arent common. Its right off I-70 also. That in itself was interesting, an interstate carved through a canyon. I hear its a traffic nightmare during certain times. Fortunately Im out at unusual times so I didnt encounter anything. 

 
Being deep in the canyon meant the sun wouldnt get to me until hours after the normal sunrise. I found the trail head and started the trip. I was happy to see it wasnt super manicured and I was alone. No cars in the area gave me hope. 





The sun was touching down on the far face of the canyon but I still hid in darkness. 


And there it was at the top of the trail. A small lake tucked away. A lake like no other Ive seen. Actually Id call it a pond due to its size. The water looked pristine. Completely transparent even at its deepest spot. The water trickled over moss covered rocks. The sun began to rise just as I began to relax. Splendid. 




For the juveniles. 



Very cool. But then I saw something. Atop one of the mossy rocks I saw a candy wrapper. For shame. However this meant that people were above the falls at one time. There must be more. Now that I thought of it, I could hear the sound of pounding water that did not match the water rolling over the mossy rocks. There was more. Sure enough found a less traveled access trail. 


Interesting. This waterfall fed the lake and ontop of that it was shooting out of a hole on the cliff face instead of rolling over an edge like most waterfalls. 



I really wondered what was behind it as it was definitely coming  out of the cliff with some gusto. 


Id estimate 50 feet. Satisfied I headed back.  


Passed a few walkers and so far my impression was that residents here were a lot friendlier than back home. I would be too if I lived here. 


Jeebus. Even though I intended to be more on foot for this trip, driving was by no means boring. 


It was hard to not be stopping constantly. Imagination running wild about growing old in a small cabin nestled in this valley. 


Water was scarce but the water that was there was outstanding. Im sure the sun made it even better. 


My goal for the day was to do a loop and touchdown in the Crested Butte area. I slacked on my research cause I wanted more surprises. This whole route was a surprise. Twisty dirt road with unlimited vistas. It was a large attraction due to the amount of traffic on this seasonal road. Cant blame them, Im there for the same reason. 




Id be okay with dying here. 


Woke up next day in Colorado Springs and scored a sunrise in garden of the gods. 



Pikes peak. Stereotypical tourist picture. 


Back on the road. Dont remember the destination or if I had one. 


There was a park that supposedly had moose. I wanted to see moose. So I stopped. I walked deep into the park and the sun began to set. Colorado sees a large temperature variation between night and day so the cold came in quick. 


Made for a nice sunset! But no moose. Bastards. I was pretty far in the park so it was another coyote adventure getting back to my vehicle. 

 
Snow had come to certain parts of Colorado. Ski season was around the corner for the locals. 




Just missed them!


My favorite picture. Sums up Colorado in one frame. 


Not a whole lot of waterfalls so gotta snag them. 


The time came to hike a 14er. Now with Washington I drove through the mountains with peak pass being around 10,000 feet but didnt actually hike to the 14,000+ peak. This time Im going to. Picture above is looking back at the parking lot of Mt Bierdstat. I was too busy breathing (a commodity at this elevation) to be taking pictures. 




Proof. 




Sun was intense. I was sun burned. Seeing the curvature of the earth was astounding. I didnt want to come down. I brought a burrito that was left over from a small mexican place down in I dont remember where. Things taste different at 14,000 feet. Like all things I had to move forward. Back to the springs. 


Back up to 14,000 feet! This time on Peaks pike, the hot spot. Opted to drive up it since its supposed to be a wonderful drive. And that it was. However I wish to hike it instead. Maybe next time. I didnt stick around long. Lots of traffic and didnt have that wilderness feeling of Bierdstat.



Found myself in red rock open space later. At least thats what I think it was called. Cant remember. Again I found myself deep in the park as the sun was setting. Oops. 





A different kind of sunset. There lies Colorado Springs. I hate cities however my impression was that it wasnt such a bad city. Definitely too big for me to live in but itd be a good city to live near. 



Got up early for one last sunrise in garden of the gods and then scooted back to Denver to fly home. I felt rejuvenated and ready to go through another few months of a mundane life. It seems everytime I leave a place I think about how I want to move there. But since Im thinking about that regarding multiple places, whats the answer? Should I maintain a homebase and just travel to all these places? Find the one I love the most? Realistically I havent been many places so it feels too soon to settle on a place to relocate yet at the same time I do have a pretty strong sensation of discontent for the home land. What to do what to do...