Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Unique and special snowflake

The weather forecast called for near sub zero temperatures and negative windchill for my entire weekend. The hardest part about doing anything is getting started. Just like a ball rolling downhill, once momentum is gained its hard to stop. Throughout the work week Ill scour google maps, forums, outdoor discussions and trail maps. Simply looking for a new destination. As much as I hate to repeat a piece of modern pop culture, the water really is greener where you water it *shudders*


First objective. Gain entry. As always I go places in the middle of the week and at an unusual time, purposefully to avoid...stuff. Fences are nothing new and I was in no rush so I took my time finding the best spot. Quickly I realized Ill just trust  good ole animal instinct. 


Follow the critter prints, they know where they are going! In the past year or so Ive realized how much new stuff lies just across the border into Pennsylvania. All too often I was too busy eye humping distant destinations. Thinking Id have to travel far to find anything new. 


There wasnt much info about this place on the internet. In fact I couldnt find any pictures, just a few topo maps and forum blurbs about it being a hot spot for summer activity and cliff jumping. Immediately I could see why. There were multiple ideal jump spots, easily competing with the popular places up in Ithaca. The pictures dont quite show the depth of the watering hole. Its a good 80-100 feet drop into the water from some of the cliff edges. 





Theres rumors on the web about what lies at the bottom. Cars. Trains. Bodies. Etc. Supposedly the railroad company made this hole to drive a train into it to get rid of the train. Doubtful. Its probably beer cans tires and old televisions, ya know, the usual. 


The basin is fed by two beautiful creeks. I wanted to play in them but with it being 5 degrees I figured I shouldnt push my luck so much. 


Iron water. 


Like usual, I like to get around all of it. So I made it around the full circumference of the watering hole. Two creeks poured into it however I wanted to see the creek leaving it. I know theres more to it. 


On my way to find the exit creek I stumbled up a modern juvenile art gallery. 


I ended up at the waters edge. As I neared the ice I could feel the ground shift and heard a loud grumble. Then a creak. Then other odd noises. I quickly verified I was still standing on dirt. The water level wasnt consistent due to the two creeks pouring into it, thus the shifting of the ice. Pretty nifty. Scared me at first.  


On second thought, maybe the rumors are true. It was a 75 foot sheer drop from here. I love abandoned vehicles. I didnt frolic around it too much as it was in a precarious position. Definitely old and definitely a big oops moment. 


Now Im getting somewhere. I knew there was more!


The exit creek. If it was summer Id walk through the water to get to the other side. I may have to return. 


The creek ran down a large man made staircase. A drainage pipe branched off, possibly for irrigation Im not sure. There was a whining noise in the distance. 


Okay I had to find out. Looks like its powering a small generator. At this point it was getting pretty cold and I didnt want to push my luck much farther as I had reason to believe this was private land. Time to make my way back. 


Whoa. Some old quad tracks ripped through this area. The mud and water were frozen in time, stuck in middle of a splash.  How cold does it have to be to form this?


Absolutely amazing. It looked like it belonged under the sea in a reef system. As soon as the temperature rises to 32 degrees itll fade away, to never been seen again in that exact form. 


So just stop. Seriously. STOP. Enjoy things while you can cause some things will be gone forever once they leave. 


I will never see this again. Maybe something similar but not exactly this. This is purely unique. Things like this exist everywhere and Id be willing to bet majority goes unseen before they fade away. The frozen octopus began to melt in my hand so I set it down and continued on my merry way. Satisfied. Yet again.