Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Ricketts Glen

Ive been here a few times previously. I like it a lot cause it doesnt seem as tourist as Ithaca and provides more opportunities to get hurt. As in, its not sidewalks with guardrails everywhere. Kinda kills the mood when youre reminded constantly about how much we are babysat. 

Autumn was upon me so I imagine it may have been September by this point. I havent been in the glen for autumn and it was my weekend so spur of the moment lets go!


Ricketts Glen has a good amount of relatively small waterfalls. Its nice for a change as you can hike a lot and still have the churning of water nearby. Plus each fall is a little different. 






Although beautiful, its not much for the autumn colors. I have been here multiple times however there was a trail I havent touched that supposedly has a fire tower on it. Fire towers are nice. 


Wow. The deep red of the surrounding bushes made this an awesome hike. 


I may or may not have scaled the fence and climbed to the tower. 

 
I love a fern forest. 

 
Theres some of those autumn colors. Worth it. 


On the way back I stopped at the largest waterfall (90ish feet). Theres a nice cutout in the cliff face where you can hang out for awhile. Pretty tranquil. Until you get hungry. 


Problem solved. 

I prefer the glen over most other regulated parks due to the lower popularity and the fact its in PA which means its not nearly as safety conscious as NY parks. Great for a day trip!