Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Mercy

As Ive gotten older hunting has sort of fallen on the list of priorities. Realistically its non-existent now. Its been awhile since Ive brought a trophy home. My yard is a host of all sorts of wildlife throughout the year. Ill certainly miss it when my house sells. Its not uncommon to have a few doe hanging out and eating my grass. Hunting season is now in full swing (when I took the pictures, I am writing this way later). 

Seeing a deer alone is unusual in my yard. Upon further inspection its a buck. Say cheese!

 
Now turn for the camera...


Could I? Yes. 

But I just didnt care. Im not hurting for food and he wasnt much of a trophy anyways. Maybe next year. My property is surrounded by hunters though so theres a good chance he will get picked off anyways. Who knows. 

Later in the day I go to mow the lawn for the last time of the year. My cat is tossing a mouse around in the grass as Im mowing. So I stop the mower and see the mouse is just being towed with. Well I need to mow the lawn so I pick the little guy up. 


I toss him in the grass in a spot I already mowed. If my cat wants him then he is still free game. 


As soon as he hits the grass I was gonna snap a shot of him running away but instead he does a 180 and attacks my saving hand while squeaking violently. Impressive! Obviously the mouse has no perception of mercy but since I was so amused by his desire to defend himself I picked him up and let him go far away from the reaches of my cat. Respect. 


Vicious killer in question, Toby.